Last week Van Oakes joined the DTC+ workshop to break down specific tactics for growing revenue through Snapchat ads. Van has spent close to $10M on Snapchat and won Snap Star of the year in both 2019 and 2020.
In case you’re unfamiliar with Snapchat, here’s a rundown:
- 300 million active daily users
- 22% of social media users are on the platform
- 61% female demographic
- 60% of snap users consume with sound on
- 33% will open snaps from brands they’ve never heard of
- Users open their app 30+ times a day
A feature that’s extremely undervalued within Snapchat is the SMS tool and its ability to help grow your list. Van has grown his list to 700K people within 2 years because of the feature.
How it works:
Within Snapchat there’s a type of ad that allows users to “Swipe Up” and learn more. It usually leads to a website, landing page, or product page.
Instead of directing to a website or landing page, there’s an option to populate a predetermined text for users to send. It’s perfect for any type of promotion or giveaway.
Here’s an example of the user experience:
- Step 1: Users receive your Snapchat ad and are encouraged to swipe up.
- Step 2: They swipe up and are presented with “I want a coupon for $20 off.” The message automatically populates within their text message app.
- Step 3: The users hit send and receive a coupon code for $20 off.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Within “select your objective,” click “engagement.”
- Then click “single image or video,” and select “text” as well.
- Next, enter your targeting information.
- Then, enter all your creative.
- On the same page as creative, select “text” for your “attachment” and “CTA.”
- The final step is entering a phone number. Check out different SMS platforms here.
- And finally, you’ll enter the message you want users to send (“I want a coupon for $20 off”).
Growing your SMS list creates further ownership of your audience. With text message open rates at 95% and with users rarely changing their phone number, it makes a lot of sense to invest in this strategy.
Look for more Snapchat tips on our Twitter!
Written by @tschreiber23