Google has rolled out “My Ads Center” for consumers to personalize their ad experiences on and off the platform. We’ll break down what you need to know about the program to ensure you build or maintain a high level of engagement.
🤔 When and where
Consumers can now choose what brands they’d like to see ads from. First impressions are (still) everything. One negative transaction can lead to a complete halt in advertising with that customer even though they’ve enabled ads in your field.
Consumers can also select what platform is used for ad tracking. For example, a consumer can select YouTube for ad tracking, where they mostly watch beauty content.
In this case, ads from other industries like tech or finance will be limited for this user. Since Google’s ecosystem believes this consumer is highly invested in beauty content, ad campaigns for your tech business won’t reach this person as often.
🛠 The toolbelt
Education, relationship status, and occupation can influence ad recommendations, so be sure to target the right demographics within these categories.
👉 So, what isn’t used for ad targeting?
🚫 Sexual orientation
🚫 Gmail content
🚫 Photos content
🚫 Drive content
There are a couple of ways to navigate the My Ads preferences to ensure that your ads won’t be significantly affected.👇
- Engage with your community
Stay tuned to social media platforms and other business profiles to know the crowd you’re speaking to. What visual and branding choices could you make to ensure that your audience leaves your brand’s ads enabled?
Some areas to consider in ads are:
- 🎧 Audio: What audio cues would keep your audience engaged? Should music be introduced first or should you go straight into a narration? Should you include specific music? Loudness isn’t always the key here.
- 👀 Visual: Abstract or conceptually driven ads can be very successful for select audiences. If you are working within a niche, communicate in a way that only this group of devoted consumers would understand.
- ↔ Length: If an ad is too long or unskippable, it could work against you. If you have a long ad, present something other than your products and tell a story. Humans are natural storytellers and want to engage with interesting people.
- The right business at the right time
Consumers can choose the specific business category they want to see ads from. If your field of work isn’t correctly identified in the Google Merchant Center or Ads account, consider reviewing these details.
You want your ads going to the right people!
- Quality over quantity
You’ll engage a more specific consumer base. People have chosen to see your ads because they want to participate in the industry. This leads to a potential higher engagement and conversion rate with ads, but the sacrifice will be your reach.
Make every sale count as the people seeing your ads are passionate about your products and will spread the word.
💪 Google frames this update in a way that provides the consumer with more control over the ads they see. In other words, you are speaking to invested people.
Use this update to grow meaningful relationships with your consumers and build retention and credibility. The goal isn’t to appeal to everyone but to care for your community and make the most of every relationship you nurture.
Let us know the impact these changes have on your marketing strategies by sending us a reply to this email! 🦻